Sheboygan Hard Rolls
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 package yeast (3 grams of instant/rapid rise yeast)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon malt extract (can substitute molasses)
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon shortening
- Place flour into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix until well blended.
- Pour in the warm water and malt extract (or molasses if using). Mix for 1 minute until a smooth batter forms.
- Add the egg, egg white, and shortening and knead until the it forms a smooth dough.
- This may require you to add a little more flour or water depending on the consistency. You want the dough to just stick to the bottom of the bowl as it is kneaded. Not the sides.
- Place in a greased bowl and allow to double in size
- Punch the dough down and allow to double again
- Place the dough on a floured table and roll into a cylinder about 12” long
- Cut into 12 pieces and shape into a roll or hot dog bun shape
- Place on baking sheet
- Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and allow to double
- While buns are rising heat oven to 450 degrees
- Five minutes before baking place a pan with one cup of hot water on the bottom rack
- Bake until the rolls are crispy and brown. 20-30 minutes